Turn to your Optometrist/Optician First

Whatever your eye problem, your optician (also known as an optometrist) should be your first port of call. If you are not already registered with an optician, please visit our local services directory to find your nearest service.

Emergency Eye Problems

If you have an urgent eye problem, such as sudden loss of vision, blurred vision, or sudden flashes and floaters, you can make an emergency appointment with an optician/optometrist. These appointments are provided free by the NHS and will ensure you receive the right specialist care as soon as possible.

They can also refer you to the hospital eye clinic if necessary.

To make an emergency appointment, telephone your optician/optometrist or contact NHS24 on 111.