Occupational Health is concerned with the effect of:
Work on Health & Health on Work
Borders Occupational Health Service provides support to a number of Borders companies as well as to all NHS Borders staff . Bespoke services can be designed to suit the needs of your company / employees.
Occupational health services are independent of both management and employees and are therefore able to give unbiased advice to both groups to the benefit of all.
Our aim is to improve the health, safety & general well-being of all employees ensuring a healthier & safer working environment.
Employees have a right to the safest possible employment and employers have a right to a healthy workforce. To assist employers and their employees to achieve this we offer:
- Pre-employment health assessments
- Immunisation of staff against infectious diseases
- Advice on sickness absence, rehabilitation, redeployment and premature retirements on the grounds of ill health
- Confidential counselling service
- Training and advise on workplace health and safety legislation
- *First Aid at Work (FAW) and Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW) training
- Identification of hazards in the working environment
- Promotion of healthy lifestyle, related advice and training programmes
- Signposting and disability management services
* NHS Borders Occupational Health Service is approved by the HSE to deliver FAW and EFAW courses for the purposes of the Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981.
Occupational Health does not traditionally offer a treatment service, however through signposting, access to such services can be arranged.
We can help with a broad range of issues that affect employees health such as:
- Work related ill health
- Skin problems
- Contamination incidents
- Workplace infection
- Workplace accidents
- Moving and handling
- Exposure to:
- vibration (HAVS)
- temperature extremes
The service is staffed by:
- An administrative team
- Health Promotion staff
- Moving & Handling trainers
- Occupational Therapists
- Psychological Therapists
- Specialist Doctors
- Specialist Nurses
We are based in Newstead and deliver Occupational Health Services throughout the Scottish Borders. To discuss your companies’ occupational health needs please contact us at:
Occupational Health Manager
Telephone: 01896 825982