Book Prescription Scheme
NHS Borders run a book prescription scheme that aims to help people who may be experiencing stress, anxiety, depression or other psychological problems.
The book prescription scheme allows you to print off a book “prescription” and take this to your local library to borrow the book.
You do not need to be a member of the library to borrow the books in the prescription scheme. Simply take the prescription to the librarian and they will arrange a membership on the spot. You can also choose to buy the book yourself if you prefer.
The books included in the scheme have been recommended by people who have used them previously and have found them helpful.
- 1. Anger and Assertiveness
- 2. Anxiety, Panic, Stress & Fear
- 3. Bereavement, Trauma & Abuse
- 4. Depression & Low Self-Esteem
- 5. Eating Disorder & Weight
- 6. Obsessions & Compulsions
- 7. Relationships & Communication
- 8. Sleep
- 9. Key Text
- 11. Older Adult and Caring
- 12. Children and Teenagers
- 12.1 Getting better 'Bite by Bite' how to overcome problems with eating
- 12.2 The Huge Bag of Worries - explores some of the worries children might have through the story of Jenny
- 12.3 Straight Talk about Death for Teenagers
- 12.4 Teenie Weenie in a Too Big World - for anxious and fearful children
- 12.5 Badger's Parting Gifts - explains death through the story of badger
- 12.7 Willy and the Wobbly House - for anxious and obsessional children
- 13. Parenting
- 13.1 Coping with Birth Trauma and Postnatal Depression
- 13.2 Baby Owners Workshop Manual - conception to 2 years
- 13.3 The Baby Owners Manual
- 13.4 The New Contented Little Baby Book
- 13.5 The Dad Manual
- 13.6 Understanding ADHD - A parent's guide
- 13.7 1-2-3 Magic - Effective Discipline for Children 2 to 12 years (3rd edition)
- 13.8 The Incredible Years - Children 2 to 8 years
- 14. Lifestyle
- 15. Mindfulness