Where are we:
We are based in the Borders Eye Centre at the Borders General Hospital. We have peripheral Ophthamology Clinics at Duns, Hawick and Peebles and peripheral Orthoptic Clinics at various sites across the Borders.
About our Service:
- General Ophthalmology - All Ophthalmology referrals are assessed in the Borders Eye Centre or peripheral clinics. Surgery is carried out at the BGH. A few surgical cases, e.g. for vitreo-retinal surgery, are referred from the BGH elsewhere.
- Orthoptics and Low Vision Aids - Orthoptic clinics are held at the BGH and other sites. The Low Vision Aid clinic is held at the BGH. These services are provided by the orthoptists.
- Care of the visually impaired is carried out by the Sensory Services team.
- There are several nurse-led services: triage of emergency referrals, pre and post-operative assessments, stable glaucoma clinics and macular fast track clinics with oct and angiography.
Three Consultant Ophthalmologists:
- Robert Murray (Head Of Service)
- Hassan Hashmi
- Jonathan Ross
- Kathy Ireland
- Dorothy Jeffrey
How to access our services:
Access By Referral Only, Via The Following:
- General Practitioner
- Optometrist (Optician)
- Some Children Via Health Visitor Or School Nurse
- Sensory Services (Low Vision) Team
- A & E, BECS
- Consultants In Other Departments Within The BGH
How to contact us:
Members of the public should not contact the Ophthalmology department directly for new appointments.
- Queries about existing operation bookings: 01896 826763