Public Health focuses on promoting the health and well-being of people living in the Scottish Borders and protecting people from becoming ill.
Public Health is concerned with maximising the population benefits of healthcare and reducing health inequalities while meeting the needs of individuals and groups,
The Public Health team is led by Tim Patterson, the Joint Director of Public Health for Scottish Borders Council and NHS Borders.
The Joint Health Improvement Team leads and supports work across the Scottish Borders to improve health and reduce health inequalities.
The Health Protection Team focus on protecting the public from infectious diseases and environmental hazards
Scottish Borders Council Regulatory Services carry out workunder a wide-range of legislation relating to the health, safety and welfare of our Borders community.
Alcohol and Drugs Partnership Support Team commission drug and alcohol services and interventions to reduce the impact of problem drug and alcohol in Borders.
The Service Improvement Team assesses population needs and evidence toshape the design of local services.
What we can do for you?
- We run programs to help children and families stay at a healthy weight
- We offer stop smoking clinics to help people quit smoking
- We provide health asessments and support to help people change their lifestyle and reduce their risk of ill health. For more information go to www.lass.scot.nhs.uk
- We investigate outbreaks of food borne infection as well as other kinds of infection to prevent them happening again or getting worse.
- We provide general advice on communicable diseases and infection control in various community settings.
- We invite you to take part in various national immunisation and screening programmes.
- We contribute to ensuring that you have effective, accessible healthcare services.
- Provides information about drug and alcohol use in the Scottish Borders, and advice on where and how to get help for those with drug and alcohol problems. For more information, go to www.badp.scot.nhs.uk
Our main office is situated in the grounds of the Borders General Hospital. The health protection, emergency planning, and service improvement teams are located in this office.
Department of Public Health-NHS Borders
Borders General Hospital
For further information:
Telephone: 01896 825560, Monday to Friday 8.30am-5pm
Fax: 01896 823396
We also have an office at Scottish Borders Council. The Health Improvement and Alcohol and Drugs Partnership Support Teams are based there.
Health Improvement - NHS Borders
The Old School Building
Newtown St Boswells
For Health Improvement Team